Ion Implantation Laboratory - IF UFRGS
- 1 Infrastructure
- 2 Analytical Techniques
- 3 Information for external users
- 4 Information for Brazilian users
- 5 Regulations and Procedures
- 6 Pictures
- 7 History
- 8 Research Lines
- 9 Laboratory Organization Chart
- 10 Staff
- 11 Associated Laboratories
- 12 Links
- 13 Contact
- 14 Help
ION BEAM ANALYTICAL TECHNIQUES
- Rutherford Backscattering Spectrometry (RBS) and Channelling
- Nuclar Reaction Analysis (NRA)
- Elastic Recoil Detection Analysis (ERDA)
- Particle Induced X-Ray Emission (PIXE)
- Medium Energy Ion Scattering (MEIS)
ION IMPLANTATION AND IRRADIATION
List of ion beams already used at the 3 MV Tandetron accelerator []
List of ion beams already used at the 500 kV ion implanter []
Additional Information []
BIENNIAL REPORT 2017/18 
BIENNIAL REPORT 2015/16 
BIENNIAL REPORT 2013/14 
ANNUAL REPORT 2012' 
ANNUAL REPORT 2011 
ANNUAL REPORT 2010 
Information for external users
For international users who want to apply for beamtime, please send an e-mail to Dr. Raquel Giulian (firstname.lastname@example.org) with the following information:
- Name, address and affiliation.
- Which techniques will be used, for what purposes. Previous results or results obtained by other techniques can be shown here to support the requested beamtime. If anyone from the group has previous experience with the requested technique, please mention it here.
- A list of samples to be analyzed and a summary of the expected results.
- Previous publications of the group if any.
Beamtime requests from external users will be evaluated by a local commitee and will be ranked according to the quality of the proposal, feasibility and possible outcomes.
and transport to Ion Implantation Laboratory https://moovitapp.com/index/en/public_transit-Ufrgs_Campus_Do_Vale-Porto_Alegre-site_14706268-964
Information for Brazilian users
For Brazilian users who want to apply for beamtime, please click here 
Regulations and Procedures
TERMS OF AGREEMENT - EXTERNAL USERS 
PUBLICATION RULES : AFFILIATION and ACKNOWLEDGEMENT 
LABORATORY REGULATIONS AND PROCEDURES 
The Ion Implantation Laboratory is a multi-user plataform IE-MULTI complying with the PREMIUM - PROPESQ program.
Infrastructure: Ion accelerators, annealing furnaces, mechanical workshop, sample preparation laboratories, seminar room.
Premium Program scholarship working hours
IAEA ACCELERATORS PORTAL - Accelerator Knowledge Portal 
See also the National Institute of Surface Engineering blog [ http://bit.ly/MAdmsG]
Pictures from the Ion Implantation Laboratory http://implantador.multiply.com
SCHEDULE (subject to change)
->To access, click on the respective links:
ION IMPLANTER 500 kV 
TANDETRON 3 MV 
Reservation - Seminar Room
The seminar room of the Ion Implantation Laboratory is for seminars, lectures and meetings. The permanent schedule for the seminar room is shown in the table below.
PERMANENT SCHEDULE (Year/Semester: 2018/02)
|8:30 - 9:00||-||-||lecture - Henri Boudinov||-||-|
|9:00 - 9:30||-||-||lecture - Henri Boudinov||-||-|
|9:30 - 10:00||-||-||lecture - Henri Boudinov||-||-|
|10:00 - 10:30||-||-||lecture - Henri Boudinov||-||-|
|10:30 - 11:00||-||-||-||-||-|
|11:00 - 11:30||-||-||-||-||-|
|11:30 - 12:00||-||-||-||-||-|
|12:00 - 12:30||-||Group meeting - Raquel||-||-||-|
|12:30 - 13:00||-||Group meeting - Raquel||-||-||Group meeting - Cláudio Radtke|
|13:00 - 13:30||-||Group meeting - Johnny||-||-||Group meeting - Cláudio Radtke|
|13:30 - 14:00||-||Group meeting - Johnny||-||Lecture PG - Daniel||Group meeting - Cláudio Radtke|
|14:00 - 14:30||-||Group meeting - Johnny||-||Lecture PG - Daniel||Group meeting - Cláudio Radtke|
|14:30 - 15:00||-||Group meeting - Johnny||-||Lecture PG - Daniel||Group meeting - Cláudio Radtke|
|15:00 - 15:30||-||Group meeting - MEIS||-||Meeting LII / Seminars||-|
|15:30 - 16:00||-||Group meeting - MEIS||-||Meeting LII / Seminars||-|
|16:00 - 16:30||Lecture - Fernanda||Group Meeting - Paulo||-||Meeting LII / Seminars||-|
|16:30 - 17:00||Lecture - Fernanda||Group meeting - Paulo||-||-||-|
|17:00 - 17:30||Lecture - Fernanda||Group meeting - Paulo||Group meeting - Henri Boudinov||-||-|
|17:30 - 18:30||-||-||Group meeting - Henri Boudinov||-||-|
The seminar room can be booked for occasional events whenever free. The occasional reservations already booked are the following:
OCCASIONAL RESERVATION (Year/Semester: 2019/01)
|14/02/2019 (Thursday)||09:00 - 12:00||Charles Bolzan||Practice|
To book the seminar room, talk to Prof. Leandro (email@example.com ramal 6550).
The Ion Implantation Laboratory of the Physics Institute - UFRGS was founded in 1980 by Prof. Fernando C. Zawislak and colleagues who until then worked in the areas of perturbed angular correlation and nuclear physics. The activities of the Ion Implantation Laboratory began with the acquisition of the 400 kV accelerator in 1981 (and 1996 extended to 500 kV), with FINEP resources. In 1989 we received a 250 kV ion implanter as a donation from IBM (USA), which is dedicated to applications in microelectronics. Before the end of the 1990s, the Ion Implantation Laboratory was already one of UFRGS 'successful research facilities, not only for qualified scientific production, but also for the training of phd and master students, and for the intense international exchange.
As a result of this success, the Ion Implantation group received new financial support from FINEP, which allowed the acquisition, in January 1995, of a 3MV TANDEM accelerator, installed in a new building, and in operation since December 1996.
With these three accelerators, the Laboratory is able to produce ion beams of virtually all stable isotopes of the periodic table, allowing an action that covers, in addition to research in physics, many areas of materials science. On the other hand, the two machines of higher energy, and especially the Tandem accelerator of 3 MV, are efficient instruments in the analysis of materials, surfaces, interfaces and thin films, using Rutherford Backscattering Spectroscopy (RBS), Channeling, Nuclear Reaction Analysis (NRA), Elastic Recoil Detection Analysis (ERDA), Particle Induced X-Ray Emission (PIXE) and Scattering, all available at the Ion Implantation Laboratory of the Physics Institute of the Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul.
- 1. Ion-matter interactions:
- 2. Physics of semiconductor devices:
- 3. Fotoluminescence of Si and Ge nanocrystals formed by ion implantation in SiO2 and Si3N4 matrices and high temperature annealing.
- 4. Study of formation processes and structure of Sn, Pb and Ge nanocrystals formed by ion implantation in SiO2/Si and SiO2/SiN/Si.
- 5. Investigation of nanoscopic dielectric films to be used as dielectric gates in advanced semiconductor devices.
- 6. Physicochemical characterization of semiconductor nanostructures.
- 7. Elemental composition characterization of food and study of the ionic transport mechanisms in proteins and cells using the PIXE technique.
- 8. Ion irradiation effects in structural properties of amorphous hydrogenated carbon films.
- 9. Chemical compositional analysis and depth distribution profile of several elements in nanolaminate metalic compounds and nanoscopic multilayers.
- 10. Ion implantation of metalic, polymeric and ceramical systems by plasma imersion.
- 11. Nanostructured shieldings.
- 12. Use of ion implantation in optimizing the thermal stability of the microstructure of contacts and interconnections of Al and Cu in microelectronic devices.
- 13. Semiconductor nanowires (synthesis, modification, characterization and aplications).
- 14 Formation of metalic standards for the selective growth of semiconductor nanowires using litography technique
Laboratory Organization Chart
General Coordinator - Prof. Pedro Luis Grande
General Vice-Coordinator - Prof. Paulo. F. P. Fichtner
Accelerators Coordinator - Prof. Johnny F. Dias
Accelerators Vice-Coordenador - Prof. Livio Amaral
Pedro Luis Grande, Johnny F. Dias, Paulo F. P. Fichtner Livio Amaral, Henri Boudinov, Jonder Morais, Fernanda Stedile, Cláudio Radtke
Management Sub-Committee - accelerators
Johnny F. Dias, Agostinho Bulla, Livio Amaral
Users Committee and RAU
José Henrique R. dos Santos, Raquel Giulian, Leandro Araújo
Silma Alberton Corrêa, Dr. (IQ,UFRGS, 2013) [mailto: firstname.lastname@example.org]
Maurício de Albuquerque Sortica 
Paulo Fernandes Costa Jobim 
Rafael Leal 
Wellington Silva Fernandez 
ENGINEER RESPONSIBLE FOR THE ACCELERATORS
Eduardo Ribeiro dos Santos 
Marco Aurélio Jahno Pereira 
Anaí Duarte 
Augusto Alexandre Durgante de Mattos 
Chiara das Dores do Nascimento 
Cláudia Telles de Souza 
Cristiane Marin 
Deise Schafer 
Elis Moura Stori 
Gabriel Marmitt 
Josiane Bueno Salazar 
Liana Appel Boufleur 
Lúcio Flávio dos Santos Rosa 
Masahiro Hatori 
Rafael Cardim Pazim [mailto:]
Roberto Moreno Souza dos Reis 
Tiago Silva de Ávila 
Zacarias Eduardo Fabrim 
Eduardo Pitthan Filho 
Eliasibe Luis de Souza 
João Wagner Oliveira 
Luiza Raquel Manfredi da Silva 
Deiverti de Vila Bauer 
Felipe Dalponte Bregalda 
Guilherme Domingues Kolinger 
Jady Souza Feijó 
Júlio César Ferreira Tâmbara 
Lais Gomes de Almeida 
Mateus Vicente Wrasse Wiebusch Müller 
Mariana de Mello Timm 
Vanessa Sobrosa Souza 
Viviane Peçanha Antonio 
Lucas Hansen 
Gustavo Henrique Stedile Dartora 
- Laboratório de Microeletrônica
- Laboratório de Físico-Química de Superfícies e Interfaces Sólidas
- Laboratório de Espectroscopia de Elétrons
Laboratório de Implantação Iônica Instituto de Física Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul – UFRGS
Av. Bento Gonçalves, 9500 91501-970 Porto Alegre, RS Brasil Fone: +55-51 3308-7004 Fax: +55-51 3308-7286